Delphi TVS Placement Paper
Delphi TVS Aptitude Test
1. In a covering a certain distance, the speeds of A and B are in the ratio of 3:4. A takes 30 minutes more than B to reach the destination. The time taken by A to reach the destination is?
A. 1 hour
B. 1 1/2 hour
C. 2 hours
D. 2 1/2 hour
Given, Ratio of speeds = 3:4
Ratio of times taken = 4:3
Suppose A takes 4x hrs. and B takes 3x hrs. to reach the destination.
Then, 4x - 3x = 30/60 => x = 1/2
Time taken by A = 4x hrs. = 4 * 1/2 = 2 hrs.
2. I bought a book for Rs 60, I sold off to a friend for Rs 70 but after a while I felt sorry, that I sold it and bought it back for Rs 80, how much loss did I incur?
A. Rs 10
B. Rs 20
C. No loss, no gain
D. Rs 15
Given, CP of the book= Rs 60.
And, SP of the book= Rs 70
Then, Profit=Rs 10
Again, 2nd CP = Rs 80
Hence, the total loss =80-70=10.
3. A alone can do a piece of work in 6 days and B alone in 8 days. A and B undertook to do it for Rs 3200. With the help of C, they completed the work in 3 days. How much is to be paid to C?
A. Rs 375
B. Rs 400
C. Rs 600
D. Rs 800
C's 1 day's work = 1/3 - (1/6 + 1/8) = 1/3 - 7/24 = 1/24.
Then, A's wages: B's wages: C's wages
=> 1/6: 1/8: 1/24 = 4:3:1
Hence, C's share = 1/8 * 3200 = Rs 400.
4. A, B and C started a business with capitals of Rs 8000, Rs 10000 and Rs 12000 respectively. At the end of the year, the profit share of B is Rs 1500. The difference between the profit shares of A and C is?
A. Rs 300
B. Rs 400
C. Rs 500
D. Rs 600
E. None of these
Given, Ratio of investments of A, B and C is 8000: 10000: 12000 = 4: 5: 6
And also given that, profit share of B is Rs 1500
=> 5 parts out of 15 parts is Rs 1500
Now, required difference is 6 - 4 = 2 parts
Required difference = 2/5 (1500) = Rs 600
5. If Rs 510 be divided among A, B, C in such a way that A gets 2/3 of what B gets and B gets 1/4 of what C gets, then their shares are respectively:
A. Rs 120, Rs 240, Rs 150
B. Rs 60, Rs 90, Rs 360
C. Rs 150, Rs 300, Rs 60
D. None of these
According to the question,
(A = 2/3 B and B = 1/4 C) = A/B = 2/3 and B/C = 1/4
=> A: B = 2:3 and B:C = 1:4 = 3:12
=> A: B:C = 2:3:12
A's share = 510 * 2/17 = Rs 60
B's share = 510 * 3/17 = Rs 90
C's share = 510 * 12/17 = Rs 360.
6. The current of a stream runs at the rate of 4 kmph. A boat goes 6 km and back to the starting point in 2 hours, then find the speed of the boat in still water?
A. 10 kmph
B. 21 kmph
C. 8 kmph
D. 12 kmph
Let the speed of the stream be S.
And, Speed in still water = x.
So, S = 4.
Let the speed of the boat in still water be x.
=>Speed in downstream = x + 4.
And, Speed in Up-stream = x - 4.
=> 6/ (x + 4) + 6/ (x - 4) = 2.
=> x = 8.
7. In how much time would the simple interest on a certain sum be 0.125 times the principal at 10% per annum?
A. 1 1/4 years
B. 1 3/4 years
C. 2 1/4 years
D. 2 3/4 years
Let sum = x. Then, S.I. = 0.125x = 1/8 x, R = 10%
Time = (100 * x) / (x * 8 * 10) = 5/4 = 1 1/4 years.
8. Find the cost of fencing around a circular field of diameter 28 m at the rate of Rs1.50 a meter?
Area of the field= 2 * 22/7 * 14 = 88.
Hence, the fencing cost = Rs 88 * 1.50 = Rs 132.
9. A pupil's marks were wrongly entered as 83 instead of 63. Due to the average marks for the class got increased by half. The number of pupils in the class is:
Let there be x pupils in the class.
Total increase in marks = (x * 1/2) = x/2
=> x/2 = (83 - 63) => x/2 = 20 => x = 40.
10. The H.C.F of two numbers is 11 and their L.C.M is 7700. If one of the numbers is 275, then the other is:
Other number is = (11 * 7700)/275 = 308.
Delphi TVS Logical Reasoning Test
Statements: Some papers are pens.
All the pencils are pens.
(1) Some pens are pencils.
(2) Some pens are papers.
A. Only (1) conclusion follows
B. Only (2) conclusion follows
C. Either (1) or (2) follows
D. Neither (1) nor (2) follows
E. Both (1) and (2) follow
Statements: All machines are bad. Some bad are globe.
All globe are round.
(I)Some machines are round.
(II) No machine is round.
A. Only I conclusion follows
B. Only II conclusion follows
C. Either I or II follows
D. Neither I nor II follows
E. Both I and II follow
13. Blood Relation:
When Anuj saw Manish, he recalled, "He is the son of the father of my daughter." Who is Manish?
14. Blood Relation:
Pointing towards a man, a woman said, "His mother is the only daughter of my mother." How is the woman related to the man?
15. Directions & Distances: -
One morning Sujata started to walk towards the Sun. After covering some distance she turned to right then again to the right and after covering some distance she again turns to the right. Now in which direction is she facing?
16. Ordering & Ranking: -
In a row of trees, one tree is fifth from either end of the row. How many trees are there in the row?
Clearly, number of trees in the row = (4 + 1 + 4) = 9.
In a certain code, TOGETHER is written as RQEGRJCT. In the same code, PAROLE will be written as
E. None of these
The letters at odd positions are each moved two steps backward and those at even positions are each moved two steps forward to obtain the corresponding letters of the code.
If in a certain language, COUNSEL is coded as BITIRAK, how is GUIDANCE written in that code ?
E. None of these
The letters at odd positions are each moved one step backward, while the letters at even positions are respectively moved six, five, four, three, two, steps backward to obtain the corresponding letters of the code.
19. Data Sufficiency:
Question: Among T, V, B, E and C, who is the third from the top when arranged in the descending order of their weights?
(I) B is heavier than T and C and is less heavy than V who is not the heaviest.
(II) C is heavier than only T.
A. I alone is sufficient while II alone is not sufficient
B. II alone is sufficient while I alone is not sufficient
C. Either I or II is sufficient
D. Neither I nor II is sufficient
E. Both I and II are sufficient
From I, we have: B > T, B > C, V > B. Thus, V is heavier than each one of B, T and C. But V is not the heaviest. So, E is the heaviest. Thus, we have the order. E>V>B>T>C or E>V>B>C>T. Clearly, B is third from the top.
20. Logical deduction:
Statements: Some clothes are marbles. Some marbles are bags.
(I)No cloth is a bag.
(II)All marbles are bags.
(III)Some bags are clothes.
(IV) No marble is a cloth.
A. Only either I or IV follows
B. Only either I or II follows
C. Only either I or III follows
D. None follows
Since both the premises are particular, no definite conclusion follows. However, I and III involve only the extreme terms and form a complementary pair. Thus, either I or III follows.
Delphi TVS Verbal Ability Test
21. Fill in the blank:
Since one cannot read every book, one should be content with making a ________ selection.
22. Synonym: -
23. Antonym: -
24. One-word substitution:
Science of diseases
FLEXIBLE: RIGID: CONFIDENCE : ?
26. Direct/Indirect speech: -
I told him that he was not working hard.
A. I said to him, "You are not working hard."
B. I told to him, "You are not working hard."
C. I said, "You are not working hard."
D. I said to him, "He is not working hard."
27. Direct/Indirect speech:
He said to his father, "Please increase my pocket-money."
A. He told his father, "Please increase the pocket-money"
B. He pleaded his father to please increase my pocket money.
C. He requested his father to increase his pocket-money.
D. He asked his father to increase his pocket-money.
1) His political career came to an abrupt end with China's military operation.
2) He attracted as as repelled.
3) He was responsible for the debacle.
4) A man of paradoxes, Menon remained an enigma.
'A man of paradoxes' is logically continued by 'repelled ' and 'attracted'. Subsequently, 'the' debacle refers to China's flopped military operation and hence choice C.
29. Replace the phrase printed in bold type to make the grammatically correct: -
The man to who I sold my house was a cheat.
A. to whom I sell
B. to who I sell
C. who was sold to
D. to whom I sold
E. No correction required
30. Active/Passive voice:
They will inform the police.
A. The police will be informed by them.
B. The police will inform them.
C. The police are informed by them.
D. Informed will be the police by them.
Like this ?