The questions in this set ask you to match definitions
to particular situations. For each question, you will be
given a definition and four possible answer choices.
Read each definition and all four choices carefully, and
find the answer that provides the best example of the
given definition. Answer each question solely on the
basis of the definition given.
1. Violating an Apartment Lease
occurs when a tenant does something prohibited by the legally binding document that he or she has signed with a landlord. Which situation below is the best example of Violating an Apartment Lease?
- A. Tim has decided to move to another city, so
he calls his landlord to tell him that he is
not interested in renewing his lease when it
expires next month.
- B. Valerie recently lost her job and, for the last three months, has neglected to pay her
landlord the monthly rent they agreed
upon in writing when she moved into her
apartment eight months ago.
- C. Mark writes a letter to his landlord that lists numerous complaints about the apartment
he has agreed to rent for two years.
- D. Leslie thinks that her landlord is neglecting
the building in which she rents an apartment.
She calls her attorney to ask for
Answer: Option B
Valerie signed a legally binding document that requires her to pay a monthly rent for her apartment and she has failed to do this for the last three months. Therefore, she has violated her apartment lease.
It is appropriate to compensate someone if you have damaged his or her property in some way. This is called Restitution
.Which situation below is the best example of Restitution?
- A. Jake borrows Leslie’s camera and the lens
shatters when it falls on the ground because
he fails to zipper the case.When Jake
returns the camera, he tells Leslie that he
will pay for the repair.
- B. Rebecca borrows her neighbor’s car, and
when she returns it, the gas tank is practically empty. She apologizes profusely and tells her neighbor she will be more considerate the next time.
- C. Aaron asks Tom to check in on his apartment
while he is out of town.When Tom arrives, he discovers that a pipe has burst and there is a considerable amount of water damage. He calls a plumber to repair the pipe.
- D. Lisa suspects that the pothole in her company’s parking lot caused her flat tire. She tells her boss that she thinks the company should pay for the repair.
Answer: Option A
Jake damaged Leslie’s camera while it was in his possession and he has agreed to compensate
Leslie for the cost of the repair.
when they consider a situation and assume something to be true based on inconclusive evidence. Which situation below is the best example of Speculation?
- A. Francine decides that it would be appropriate
to wear jeans to her new office on Friday
after reading about “Casual Fridays” in her
- B. Mary spends thirty minutes sitting in traffic
and wishes that she took the train instead
- C. After consulting several guidebooks and her
travel agent, Jennifer feels confident that
the hotel she has chosen is first-rate.
- D. When Emily opens the door in tears, Theo
guesses that she’s had a death in her family.
Answer: Option D
This is the only situation in which someone
makes an assumption that is not based on conclusive evidence. Choices a and c reflect situations in which assumptions are made based on evidence. In choice b, Mary is not assuming anything to be true. She is simply wishing that she’d made a different decision.
is a promise or assurance that attests to the quality of a product that is either (1) given in writing by the manufacturer or (2) given verbally by the person selling the product. Which situation below is the best example of a Guarantee?
- A. Melissa purchases a DVD player with the
highest consumer ratings in its category.
- B. The salesperson advises Curt to be sure that
he buys an air conditioner with a guarantee.
- C. The local auto body shop specializes in
refurbishing and selling used cars.
- D. Lori buys a used digital camera from her
coworker who says that she will refund
Lori’s money if the camera’s performance is
not of the highest quality.
Answer: Option D
Choices a, b, and c do not describe situations in which a product is guaranteed. Only choice d reflects a situation in which a seller attests to the quality of a product by giving the buyer a promise or assurance about its quality.
occurs when a person leaves his or her social system for a period of time and then returns. Which situation below best describes Reentry?
- A. When he is offered a better paying position,
Jacob leaves the restaurant he manages to
manage a new restaurant on the other side
- B. Catherine is spending her junior year of
college studying abroad in France.
- C. Malcolm is readjusting to civilian life after
two years of overseas military service.
- D. After several miserable months, Sharon
decides that she can no longer share an
apartment with her roommate Hilary.
Answer: Option C
Malcolm is the only person returning to a social system that he has been away from for an extended period of time.