Sasken Placement Paper
Sasken Aptitude Test
1. If a Cone and a sphere have equal volumes and equal radius of 6 cm, then what is the height of the Cone and the diameter of the Sphere?
A. 12cm, 24cm
B. 24cm, 6cm
C. 24cm, 12cm
D. 6cm, 24cm
Let h be the height of the cone and r be the radius of the sphere as well as the radius of base of the cone.
Volume of the cone =1/3 x π x r2 x h cm3
Volume of the Sphere = 4/3 x π x r3 cm3
Given that r = 6 cm and Volume of the Cone= Volume of the Sphere.
=> 1/3 x π x r2 x h cm3 = 4/3 x π x r3 cm3
=> h = 4 x r cm
=> h = 4 x 6 cm
=> h = 24 cm
Diameter of the sphere = 2r =12 cm.
2. Nithesh built a wall around his house. After two years, he increased the length and the breadth of the wall by 20% and 15%. Then what is the consequent increase in area?
Let the length and breadth of the wall be L and B.
Increase in length = 20% = L x 20/100 =0.2 L
Then, New length = 1.2 L
Increase in breadth = 15% = B x 15/100 =0.15 B
Then, New breadth = 1.15 B
New area = 1.2L * 1.15B = 1.38 LB
Increase in area = 0.38 LB
Area increased in % = 0.38 LB / LB x 100 = 38 %.
3. Mumbai Rajadhani express left Delhi for Mumbai at 09.30 hrs., travelling at a speed of 60 kmph and Delhi Super-Fast Express left Delhi for Mumbai on the same day at 11.30 hrs. travelling at a speed of 80 kmph. How far away from Delhi will the two trains meet?
A. 120 km
B. 360 km
C. 480 km
D. 500 km
Let us assume both the trains meet at x hours after 9.30 hours.
Then distance travelled by train travelling at 60 Kmph for x hours should match the distance covered by train travelling at 80Kmph for x -2 hours.
(x - 2 hours is used for second train as it has started late by two hours.)
Applying the above logic, we can form the equation:
=> 60x=80(x - 2)
Simplifying we get, x=8.
So Required distance = 60x = (60x8) = 480 km.
Both the trains meet 480 km from Delhi.
4. The electricity bill of a certain establishment is partly fixed and partly varies as the number of units of electricity consumed. When in a certain month 540 units are consumed, the bill is Rs. 1800. In another month 620 units are consumed and the bill is Rs. 2040. In yet another month 500 units are consumed. The bill for that month would be:
A. Rs 1605
B. Rs 1680
C. Rs 1840
D. Rs 2050
We can find fixed unit by taking their HCF
So HCF of 540,620 and 500 is 40.
So fixed unit is 40
Now suppose price of variable unit is x and fixed unit is y.
500x+40y=1800 ---------> (1)
580x+40y=2040 ---------> (2)
After solving condition (1) and (2), we get
x=3 and y=30/4
In 500 unit 40 fix and 460 varies
i.e. 40*(30/4) +460*3=1680.
5. At a garden site, 16 Mango trees,24 banyan trees and 28 Guava trees are to be planted in certain no of rows in such a way that each row has equal no of trees of the same species. what is the minimum number of rows that are required for this purpose?
17 rows is the answer
HCF (16,24,28) = 4
16/4=4, 24/4=6, 28/4=7
hence, there are
4 rows of mango trees
6 rows of banyan trees
7 rows of guava trees
The required number of rows is 4+6+7 i.e. 17.
6. A salesman wanted to buy some number of equal priced toys. The salesman had money to buy 49 toys exactly, provided no discount is offered. But, if the trader gave 2% discount on every toy, how many toys could now be bought by the salesman for the same amount of money?
Let the original price of each toy be Rs.100
Then amount required to buy 49 toys = Rs 49 x 100 = Rs.4900
New price of each toy (after reducing the discount 2%) = Rs.98
Therefore the number of toys can buy = 4900/98 = 50
Hence the answer is 50.
7. A stock of rice is enough for 100 men for 60 days. How long will the same stocks of rice last for 500 men:
100 men can eat --> for 60 days
1 men can eat ----> for x days
x = 100*60 = 6000 days
1 men can eat ---> for 6000 days
500 men can eat--> for x days
x = 6000/500 = 12 days
8. The number of students in a school kept changing every year. In the year 1999, the total number of students in the school was 1000.In the year 2000, it is increased by 20%. In 2001, it again increased by 20%, but in 2002, it decreased by 5%. Find the number of students in the school at the end of year 2002:
In 1999, no. of students = 1000
In 2000, %increase = 20%
=> 1000*120/100 =1200
In 2001, 1200*120/100 = 1440
In 2002, % decrease = 5%
=> 1440*95/100 = 1368
9. Two pipes A and B can fill a tank in 4 hours and 5 hours respectively. If they are turned up alternatively for one hour each, then time taken to fill the tank is:
A. 2 hrs. 15mins
B. 4 hrs. 24mins
C. 5 hrs.
D. 3 hrs.
A's 1 hr. work = 1/4
B's 1 hr. work = 1/5
A is opened at the 1st hr...
Part of tank filled in 1st hr. = 1/4
B is opened at the 2nd hr...
Part of tank filled in 2nd hr. = 1/4+1/5 = 9/20
In 2 hrs. ---> 9/20 part filled
In 4 hrs. --> x part filled
x = 4/2 * 9/20
x = 18/20
So in 4 hrs. part of tank filled = 18/20 => 9/10
Remaining to be filled = 1 - 9/10 = 1/10
So in 5th hr., A will be kept opened...
A will fill 1/4 part --> In 1 hr.
A will fill 1/10 part -->In x hr.
x = 4/10 = 2/5hrs => 2/5 * 60 mins => 24mins
So total time taken = 4 hrs. + 24 mins
10. An article is sold at 12.5% profit. If it had been sold at 5% loss, the selling price would have been Rs.9.80 less. The cost price of the article is:
Let x be the Cost price
Then SP = x*112.5/100
SP = 1.125x
If it is 5% loss, then
SP = x*95/100
SP = 0.95x
1.125x - 0.95x = 9.80
0.175x = 9.80
x = 56
Sasken Verbal Ability Test
11. He who is governed by ______ rather than impulse is truly wise. An ounce of ______ they say, is better than a pound of wit.
A. devotion, thought
B. prudence, discretion
C. temperament, logic
D. acumen, emotion
E. intelligence, repression
12. Macbeth is tragedy of a man who was ______with great qualities but ______ from the path of honor.
A. endowed, deserted
B. cultivated, lamented
C. possessed, mitigated
D. imposed, deflated
E. absorbed, deviated
13. The revolution in art has not lost its steam; it ____ on as fiercely as ever.
Male lions are rather reticent about expanding their energy in hunting more than three quarters of kills are made by lionesses are in front, tensely scanning ahead, the cubs lag playfully behind and the males bring up the rear, walking slowly, their massive heads nodding with each step as if they were bored with the whole matter. But slothfulness may have survival value. With lionesses busy hunting, the males function as guard for the cubs, protecting them particularly from hyenas.
17. According to the passage male lions generally do not go for hunting’s because
A. they don’t not like it.
B. they want lioness to get training
C. they wish to save their vigor for other things
D. they are very lazy
18. Male lions protect their cubs
A. from the members of their own species
B. from hyenas only
C. from hyenas as much as from other enemies
D. more from hyenas than from other animals
19. Lioness go for hunting
A. all alone
B. with their male partners only
C. with their cubs and male partners
D. with their cubs only
20. When the lionesses go in search for their prey, they are very
Sasken Logical Reasoning Test
21. Find out odd ones-
22. If in coded language
732 = 2, 824 = 4 and 642 = 8
Then 616 =?
732 = 7*3*2 = 42
Last digit of 42 is 2 so
732 = 2
824 = 8*2*4 = 64
Last digit of 64 is 4 so
824 = 4
642 = 6*4*2 = 48
Last digit of 48 is 8 so
642 = 8
as well as
616 = 6*1*6 = 36
Last digit of 36 is 6
so 616 = 6
23. Look at this series: 1.5, 2.3, 3.1, 3.9, ... What number should come next?
In this simple addition series, each number increases by 0.8.
24. Look at this series: 201, 202, 204, 207, ... What number should come next?
In this addition series, 1 is added to the first number; 2 is added to the second number;
3 is added to the third number; 4 is added to the fourth number; and go on.
25. Introducing Sonia, Amir says, "She is the wife of only nephew of only brother of my mother." How Sonia is related to Amir?
D. Data is inadequate
Brother of mother means maternal uncle. Hence only nephew of Amir’s maternal uncle means Amir himself.
Therefore Sonia is the wife of Amir.
26. Pointing to Varman, Madhav said, "I am the only son of one of the sons of his father." How is Varman related to Madhav?
C. Father or Uncle
Madhav is the only son of one of the sons of Varman's father → Either Varman is the father or uncle of Madhav.
27. Village Q is to the North of the village P. The village R is in the East of Village Q. The village S is to the left of the village P. In which direction is the village S with respect to village R?
28. In a code, CORNER is written as GSVRIV. How can CENTRAL be written in that code?
E. None of these
29. According to a military code, SYSTEM is SYSMET and NEARER is AENRER. What is the code for FRACTION?
30. Ravi left home and cycled 10 km towards South, then turned right and cycled 5 km and then again turned right and cycled 10 km. After this he turned left and cycled 10 km. How many kilometers will he have to cycle to reach his home straight?
A. 10 km
B. 15 km
C. 20 km
D. 25 km
Like this ?